1.Cleanse. Soap-free Dermalogica Cleansers lift impurities, address skin issues and prep skin for treatment.
2.Exfoliate. Exfoliation can be done either physically (small granules that scrub the first layer of the skin) or chemically. Exfoliation removes the old dead skin cells on the outer most layer to reveal fresh and brighter skin.
3.Tone. Dermalogica Toners shield against assault, increase product penetration and even out skin porosity.
4.Serum. Innovative serums and oils to hydrate, repair, and protect your skin.
5.Moisturize. Moisturizers will hydrate and help balance out oily or dry skin based on the moisturizer you get.
How to create the textured wave.
2. Step 2- Blow dry the entire head upside down to get the most volume.
3. Step 3- Start by sectioning the hair into three sections. The top of the head (eyebrow to eyebrow around the head). The middle of the head (ear to ear all the way around the head). Then the rest (ears down) leave out.
4. Step 4- Start by grabbing the hair with the curling iron in the middle of the section, keeping the iron vertical and leave 2-3 inches of your ends OUT of the iron. Curl up, hold it, and remove.
5. Step 5- Shake it out or brush it out and spray in Kevin Murphy Bedroom hair. Bedroom hair creates a little hold, seperation, and shine. It creates alot of texturize and volume and also smells INCREDIBLE. Spray throughout and work it in. Start with a little bit of spray and work it in. You can always add more, but if you add too much you can over do it with this product.
When the weather breaks and you feel like your current haircut needs a little SPICE... Check out what is trending now for the top haircuts for SPRING 2018.
Considering a change, but not sure?
Ask yourself a few of these questions...
When is the last time you changed your current haircut?
If it was over a year ago or you cant remember, time for a change!
When is the last time you recieved a compliment on your current haircut or style?
If you can't remember, time for a change!
Do you love your hair?
If not, time for a change!
Top 3 haircuts for spring 2018.
Mid-length blunt layered cut. This haircut is perfect for the new "textured-wave" that is hot right now. Take a few inches off of your tresses, clean up the ends & take some weight off of your hair.
Side-part BOB. This textured, shoulder length haircut is perfect way to add natural volume and style to your haircut for spring 2018. It can be worn styled with sexy, messy waves or sleek & professional for the weekdays.
Mid-length with LONG layers. This versitle haircut is LOW maintenence, something that we all need a little more of in our lives. It looks good wearing naturally styled or with a subtle wave.
Over 25 Years of Research
At Viviscal, we understand hair. We have been researching hair loss for over 25 years and are proud to have developed the most rigorously researched hair growth* supplement.
The efficacy of Viviscal is supported in seven clinical studies, including the most recent double-blind, placebo-controlled scientific research program, which was designed exclusively to study women’s hair growth* supplements. The study demonstrated a statistically significant reduction in hair shedding and a statistically significant increase in hair thickness over a six-month period.*
“The thought of losing my hair was devastating. Viviscal is the solution to having thicker, fuller looking hair.”
Click below to see her story on YOUTUBE:
How to get thicker hair? Why is my hair so THIN?
1. Maximista By Oribe- Bigger is better. This thermal-protective body-builder helps you expand to your absolute fullest with enduring lift and hold.
2. Thick by Oribe- Plump up the volume with this high-density finishing spray that inflates hair for extra thickness and lushness. Oribe’s secret for hair that is big, beautiful, beyond luxurious.
Why Won't My Hair Grow?
Tips From The Experts here at the Top Salon in Chicago, Salon Envy.
"Why won't my hair grow?" is probably one of the top questions we get asked here at our top salon in Chicago. Its from our clients that are trying to grow their own hair out or just trying to get their hair HEALTHY. They look back to a period of their life when their hair was once healthy. The best way to figure it out is to think about what are you doing now that is different from then? Highlighting your hair? Using the flat iron daily?
Lets see what are the two reasons why your hair will not grow.
1) HAIR COLOR! Over-processed COLORED/BLEACHED hair continues to break at a certain point and won't grow past that. This is the number one reason we see hair not growing with clients. It is bleached, or over-processed with hair color. The hair becomes very weak. It splits, splits, and splits some more. Imagine a strand of hair divided into 5 pieces, it becomes so brittle and thin it breaks off.
2) HOT TOOLS! The over-use of flat irons, blow dryer, & curling irons break down the hair into a very weak state and eventually it breaks. The second biggest reason why hair will not grow is because it is over-processed with the hot tools. You may be thinking, how can one blow dryer be that damaging? Well, the heat and damage to the hair over periods of time will break down the cuticle of your hair. Just like color breaking down the structure of the hair, the hot tools make hair weak and brittle; therefore, it can't stay strong and healthy anymore and it breaks off.
There are many other factors that can affect hair growth: Hormone Imbalances, Health Problems, High Stress Levels, Poor Diet, Lack of or Over Exercise, Constant Tension (Tight Ponytails, Buns, Extensions) but these are our top 2 we have seen over the years.
If you are intersted in getting on a "Hair REHAB program", where a stylist will genuinely help get your hair back to GREAT health, book your consult today.
773-880-5033 Salon Envy Chicago
How To Grow Healthy Hair
1. Limit the color. Bleach opens the cuticle of your hair, which makes the compromised, dry, and vulnerable to breakage. The more you limit hair color, the healthier your hair will be and the longer it will grow.
2. Limit the tools. Curling irons, blow dryers, and flat irons are the second biggest cause of damage to hair. If you want your hair to be healthy, leave these tools to rest. The heat weakens the hair shaft and cause breakage.
3. Take care of your health. This is imperative to grow healthy hair. Make sure to drink enough water throughout the day, eat enough fruits & vegetables, and PROTEIN. Very often when we have clients with dietary deficiencies, we notice thin, brittle hair. Stay healthy and it will show in your hair.
What is the BEST hair color for GREEN eyes?
Green eyes are little tricky son-of-a-guns because some green eyes have platinum specks and some have copper specks in them. The "specks" are the little flakes of color that we call your SECONDARY color. This is the color we use to match to make the most flattering hair color for you.
Dermalogica has the best sunscreen skincare thats formulated for your needs.
Follow our TOP 5 HEALTHY sunscreen tips for summer skin care.
1. Avoid sunscreens with Vitamin A. It is great in your diet, but not spread all over the skin. Vitamin A has been listed in 14% of sunscreens reviewed by the Environmental Working Group in 2017. Government data show that tumors and lesions develop sooner on skin coated with creams laced with vitamin A, also called retinyl palmitate or retinol.
2. Reapply cream often. Sunscreen chemicals decrease potency in the sun, wash off, or rub off on towels and clothing.
3. Avoid oxybenzone, a synthetic estrogen that penetrates the skin and can disrupt the hormone system. Look for products with zinc oxide, 3 percent avobenzone or Mexoryl SX. They protect skin from harmful UVA radiation.
4. Don’t fall for high SPF labels. Anything higher than SPF 50+ can tempt you to stay in the sun too long. Even if you don’t burn, your skin may be damaged. Stick to SPFs between 15 and 50+. Pick a product based on your own skin coloration, time outside, shade and cloud cover. Reapply often.
5. Got your vitamin D? Many people don’t get enough vitamin D, a hormone manufactured by the skin in the presence of sunlight. Your doctor can test your level and recommend supplements if you are low in this vital nutrient.
The Best Volumizing Product by Oribe:
How to get the most volume out of your hair.
bigger, better, full-on glamorous hair.
start with dry hair, no need to blow dry hair.
shake, spray, & work it in.
it is that easy.
this invisible dry hair spray builds in incredible volume and sexy texture.
Patented polymers absorb oil at the roots,
leaving you with just-styled hair for days (and nights).
Salon Envy Chicago
a green circle salon
Have you ever wondered what happens to the hair we sweep up after your haircut, color boxes, left over color, etc?
At Salon Envy Chicago,
we are a certified GREEN CIRCLE SALON.
What does that mean?
This means 95% of our waste at the salon is repurposed or recycled. We are on a journey to #zerowaste.
Equiptment- Broken equipment is broken down into parts, or repaired and sent to partner salons in development countries.
Hair color- Water is extracted from left over haircolor and the remaining material is used to make plastic.
We also recycle all paper and paper products, plastics, and glass.
How to ELIMINATE (mostly) FRIZZ-
Keratin Brazilian Treatment
Salon Envy Offering La Brasiliana Domani Keratin Treatments
Anti Frizz treaments are not just for the ladies. No gender partiality here :)
Here is a photo done on Zackery, who has an extremely coarse tight curl pattern. The treatment left him with hair that was effortless to blowdry straight, or air-dryed with a pretty frizz-free wave.
La Brasiliana Keratin Treatment is made with collagen, it transforms hair to its healthy, shiny state. La Brasiliana Keratin protein replenishes the condition of the hair, without damanage, and can be used on all hair types.
Eliminate frizz for 4-6 months with a Keratin Treatment.
How long does it take? It takes 2-4 hours to complete.
How smooth will my hair be? It will eliminate 80%-90% of frizz, about 50%-60% of curl.
How much does this cost? At Salon Envy, keratin treatments start at 0 + up.
Can I get one with color-treated hair? Yes, but clients should have a consultation if their hair is over treated with bleach or excessive color.
Blowouts will be a BREEZE.
Blow dry time is cut in half with a keratin treatment.
Your hair cuticle will be smoother & silkier.
Keratin treatments allow you to keep 50-60% of your curl, but get rid of most of the frizz.
The anti-frizz treatment gradually fades out, so you won't have to deal with the frizz/curly root new growth that a permanent perm or relaxer causes.
What is balayage?
Balayage and cut by Bebe at Salon Envy Chicago
Natural Balayage and cut by Stella at Salon Envy Chicago
Balayage and cut by Zackery at Salon Envy Chicago
Balayage and cut by Christine at Salon Envy Chicago
Balayage and cut by Susan at Salon Envy Chicago
Bright balayage and cut by Lori at Salon Envy Chicago
Where can you get the best balayage in Chicago? At Salon Envy!
What makes us different from other salons?
Our experienced hairstylists have had extensive training and practice perfecting the art of hairpainting and balayage.
Rhymes with Maserati and its basically that in a shampoo.
BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED and WORKS FAST.
Silverati by Oribe was designed to brighten, intensely-hydrating conditioner, banishes dullness and yellow tones while restoring youthfulness, elasticity, and shine.
Perfect for BLONDES & aging hair.
Salon Envy Waxing
All about waxing your SWEET spot.
Brazillian Wax (most popular):
A Brazillian Wax removes ALL of the hair down there. We are talking every single bit. Bare. Fresh and so smooth. A Brazilian Wax appointment usually is done with your panties off, so the aesthetcian can remove all hair front to back. This is is our most popular BODY WAX we offer at Salon Envy Chicago because our two aestheticians are known for doing them FAST & EFFICIENT. A full Brazilian Wax is booked as a 30 minute appointment, but we would say majority of the time these appointments finish alot quicker.
French Bikini Wax:
A French Bikini Wax is similar to a Brazilian Wax, but the is usually left around your bum area. A French Bikini Wax also usually has a "landing strip" left. This landing strip can be as thin as you would like, but typically is about 3 fingers width.
A Basic Bikini Wax:
A Basic Bikini Wax is where the hair that you would see if you had underwear on is removed. So, bascially if you were to wear a bathing suit there would be no visible hair around the inner thigh region. You can keep your panties on for this appoitment and it is super fast. The appointment time is 15 minutes or less.
Blonde Problems: Restore The Integrity Of Over-Processed, Dull, Broken Hair
Prevent And Repair Breakage
Keep Those Unwanted Brassy Tones At Bay
Using salon grade products only when you're in salon is the first mistake you're making. Just because once every month or two when you get your hair done and use top of the line products at that time, doesn't mean that you can go to your local drug store and pick up whatever shampoo and conditioner is on sale once you leave. There is a reason why great salons carry great hair care lines, and it's not to force you to buy something that you don't need. (it's the opposite!)
YOUR HAIRSTYLIST CARES ABOUT THE HEALTH OF YOUR HAIR (maybe even more than you do!)
As hairstylists, we work hard to make you look amazing and the right home-care products are one of the most important parts of keeping you looking just as great as you did when you left the salon!
Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo
A great shampoo and conditioner are the BARE MINIMUM of products you should have at home!
Gold Lust Shampoo and Conditioner Key Points:
-Reinforces the inner strength of each hair strand while restoring moisture without weighing it down
-Reverses damage by sealing in moisture to streghthen hair
-Helps reduce split ends and protects against future damage
A few key ingredients:
-Oribe Signature Complex (Watermelon, Lychee and Edelweiss Flower Extracts) defends hair from oxidative stress, photoaging and the deterioration of natural Keratin, all while protecting from the drying, damaging and color-depleting effects of the elements.
-Argan Oil adds healthy shine, repairs damage and controls frizz.
-Bio-Restorative Complex, including Plant Collagen, Caffeine, Biotin and Niacinamide, repairs damage by penetrating the root to fortify, deeply nourish and streghthen the cuticle from the inside out while also stimulating the scalp circulation and rejuvenating hair follicles.
Use this shampoo and conditioner as part of your everyday routine to ensure that your hair has the bare minimum amount of protection from previous color, heat styling and natural effects of the elements!
The next step in your hair care routine is an amazing weekly hair masque. Masques give your hair extra moisture and protection against previous and future hair stressers including heat styling and coloring. This is a great product to use once weekly, as needed (ladies with a ton of hair can use this as a daily conditioner) or before going to the salon to have your hair colored!
Gold Lust Transformative Masque Key Points:
-Provides intense nourishment and conditioning
-Strengthens the cuticle and fills in weak spots
-Improves elasticity for ageless hair
The last step for your daily repairing essentials is a great heat protectant. This is an essential product to protect your hair from blowdrying and heat styling. You use this product everytime after you shampoo, condition, rinse and towel dry to ensure the maximum heat protection.
Gold Lust Balm d'Or Heat Styling Shield Key Points:
-Shields fragile and weak hair strands from thermal damage
-Leaves hair looking ultra-sleek and shiny
-Fights frizz and flyaways
-Makes hair easier to style and manage
Option #2 - Home-Care recommendations for blondes who need to repair and prevent breakage and also want to dimish brassy tones
Oribe Bright Blonde Shampoo
REMEMBER: A great shampoo and conditioner are the BARE MINIMUM of products you should have at home!
Bright Blonde Shampoo and Conditioner Key Points:
-Contains optimal level of violet pigments to brighten and eliminate brassiness
-Rich, indulgent and lightweight formula
-Easily detangles and prevents breakage
A few key ingredients:
-Pure Violet Pigment and Reflective Pearl corrects brassiness, tones highlights and imparts luminescent brightness and shine
-Purple Orchid Extract, known as the flower of longevity, repairs damaged hair, conditions and prevents moisture loss
-Brightening Complex (Lemon, Ginger Root and Chamomile Extracts) optimizes shade, tonality and luminosity
Bright Blonde shampoo and conditioner are safe for everyday use or can be used as your toner fades and you need some extra help keeping the brassy tones out!
For blondes with extremely porus, damaged hair, this spray treatment is a great once weekly deep conditioning treatment to help repair and rebuild the integrity of your hair.
Bright Blonde Radiance & Repair Treatment Key Points:
-Repairs damaged, porous blonde hair
-Instantly brightens and tones brassiness
-Immediately increases elasticity and softens dry, brittle strands
-Seals split ends
A few key ingredients:
-Proteomic Restoration Protein mimics the hair structure to target damage and repair split ends for healthier looking hair
-Pea Extract restores softness and elasticity for hair that is visibly less damaged, porous and brittle
-Pure Violet Pigment removes brassiness and yellow tones from blonde and highlighted hair
All of these are great options that you can mix and match for home use based on your stylist's recommendations. At the end of the day, your stylist knows your hair and knows what will work best based on your hair type, needs and level of damage. So next time you're at the salon getting your hair done, ask your stylist questions and listen to their recommendations, they are there to answer all of your questions and ensure the health of your hair!
Why Does My Hair Color Fade?
Hair Color Fading Probs: 101
How to STOP Hair Color From Fading.
Top 5 Tips to Prevent Hair Color Fading.
1. Wait a minute! Take some time after your hair color service to wash your hair color out. We recommend MINIMUM 24 hours to wash and condition your hair, but the longer you wait, the better!
2. Turn down the heat! The warmer the water, the more the hair cuticle opens and the color molecule can slip out. Try washing your hair in room temperature water to prevent the cuticle from opening and keeping your hair color true to tone.
4. Limit Heat use! Heat use will fade hair color. Hot blow dryers and hot irons. Turn the temperature down if possible on both and protect your hair with a thermal heat protector.
5. Protect your hair from the sun & the pools! Yes chlorine and the sun are the BIGGEST factors in hair color fading. Wear a hat when you can and use a spray leave-in treatment to protect the UVA/UVB rays from your hair color.
1) The Side Part & Tuck.
This is a super easy go-to formal-ish hair style. First part your hair on your preferred side and tuck the parted side behind your ear. This holiday hair style looks beautiful either curled or waved with a wand. Also, pretty holiday earrings compliment this hair style perfectly.
This is super easy and simple. Part your hair in the center and make sure when you curl or use your wand, keep the iron VERTICAL and curl OFF your face. This way all of your waves are going off your face. This is a simple hair style, but dressy enough for your holiday party.
Fall 2016 Hair Color Trend:
Color Melting is a technique wher3 or more hair colors are used that are similar, yet different. It blends the hair color creating a "color melting" effect. When your hair color "melts", its hard to tell where the highlights start or end.
What Is a Color Melt?
Maintaining Your Melt
The biggest benefit to "Color Melting" is that there are no harsh lines like highlights in foils create.
The Blunt Bob or Long Bob -LOB- Haircut.
An Easy Maintenance Haircut.
A Simple Haircut.
A Stylish Haircut.
A Versitile Haircut.
This ADORABLE short haircut gives you all 4 in 1....
Cutting hair can be life changing. Its time to realize that your hair length doesn't define your beauty. Cutting your hair short can be a game changer because you not only save SO MUCH TIME if you were to add it up throughout the year wasted on styling, but you'll also save $$$$$ from not buying shampoo, conditioner, and hair products.
It is true luxury in a bottle.
The natural aroma when cleansing will whisk you away to somewhere in complete serenity.
Making you feel as if you are on some perfect, remote beach...
The natural oils and 3 different types of butters will moisturize, hydrate and give your hair that SMOOTH, SHINY LUSTRE. Here are the 'deets'......
Specifically suited for the needs of thick, coarse hair. This shampoo is designed to give the hair more flexibility and to make the hair that is normally coarse be more supple and manageable. This shampoo is especially good for curly hair as it has the right hydro lipid balance that suits the needs of curly hair.
Sulphate free, Paraben free. Smoothing shampoo, For thick or coarse, coloured hair, Adds weight and moisture to hair, Color safe, Provides elasticity & shine. With a pH of 6.3 - 7.0.
Specifically suited for the needs of thick, coarse hair. This conditioner has the ability to make the hair more supple and improves flexibility on hair that is naturally coarse. Especially good for curly hair as it has the right hydro lipid balance that suits the needs of curly hair, too much moisture can result in fly-aways and frizz on naturally curly hair.
Paraben free, Smoothing shampoo, For thick or coarse, coloured hair, Colour safe, Adds weight and moisture to hair, Provides elasticity & shine, A balance of pH 4.5 - 5.5.
Kukui Nut Oil
Has proven its effects in treating damaged hair due to chemical dehydration
Buriti Nut Oil
A natural source of Vitamin A. Gives hair elasticity and shine
An antioxidant and cellular renewal ingredient that smoothes the appearance of the hair shaft and increases elasticity derived from palm oil.
Provides hydro-lipid balance that improves hydration and lustre
Shea Butter & Mango Butter
Delivers moisture to dry or damaged hair from the roots to the very tips, repairing and protecting against weather damage, dryness and brittleness. It also absorbs quickly and completely into the hair and scalp to rehydrate without clogging the cuticle. It is particularly beneficial for processed and heat-treated hair. It restores luster to damaged hair.
Chicago Balayage Salons
What is Balayage Hair Color?
Balayge is ultra-customized, minimal maintence, soft hair color that creates dimension and a sun-kissed look... Balayage is by far the most requested in salon hair color service we offer here at Salon Envy.
Salon Envy Chicago is known as "Top Salons in Chicago". With cutting edge techniques such as "lived-in hair color", "balayage", "hair painting", "American Tailoring", "foilyage", "Sombre", "ombre", precision hair cutting and much more.
If you have been thinking of trying some balayage hair color and are ready to UPDATE your hair color, here is a good read to understand balayage before your service..
Balayage is a coloring technique used to create sun-kissed, natural-looking highlights. Used as an alternative to foil highlighting, hair color or lightener is swept or painted onto the individual hair strand to create depth, lightness and dimension. The method originated in France in the 1970s. The word “Balayage” actually comes from the French word “to sweep.”
Balayage hair painting is less expensive to maintain than traditional highlights. Many can go 3-4 months between appointments since your natural hair color will blend in with the natural-looking, painted highlights as it grows.
Balayage hair painting isn’t just for blondes or one type of haircut. It is also perfect for brunettes and redheads that want a subtle, sun-kissed look. Balayage can enhance almost any haircut, length or texture. You can customize your cut by adding dimension with Balayage to show off the shape.
Balayage is the in-salon color service choice among celebrities, models and fashionistas – those that demand hair color to be designed exclusively for them. Balayage allows your colorist to utilize their creativity and artistic talent to personalize the placement of each highlight for a customized result.
What is the BEST Anti-Aging Secret? That is not so secret..
Protect Your Skin At ALL Times!
Rain or Shine, Winter or Summer, Spring or FALL... Protect your skin! We only get one face, one set of SKIN on our face, so protecting your skin like you would your precious little newborn baby is imperative. These are our TOP 4 products by Dermalogica for protecting your skin against that evil, wrinkle-causing, trecherous sunshine. For those of you who are ahead of the skin game and already wear hats, you still need sunscreen. Hats will help the overhead sunshine UV rays, but when reflections bounce back up, damage will occur. Protect your SKIN at all times.
1. Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF 30 and Dynamic Skin Recovery. Both are products from our AGE Smart, Anti-Aging line, and can be used together.
2. Dermalogica Sheer Tint SPF 20
3. Total Eye Care 15 SPF
4. Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster
5. BE PATIENT...
Wait AT LEAST 24 hours to cleanse & condition your hair after you have your hair professional colored. If you can wait 48, EVEN BETTER! Let the color molecules set and give it time to cure, per say.
4. TURN DOWN THE TEMP...
Wash your hair in cool-luke warm water. Even if you love those hot-burn-your-skin type showers, make sure to turn down that temp when you are washing those locks. Hot water will open the cuticle more and the color will "slip" out faster, losing those color molecules FASTER. Plus cooler water keeps the cuticle closed and enhances shine. Shiny hair is YOUTHFUL hair.
3. DON'T SKIMP ON SHAMPOO.
So your hair color professional will recommend the proper shampoo and conditioner for the maximum potential of your hair color. Since you already invested in great color, do not skimp on what you cleanse & condition it with. Pay the little extra to get your product from the salon, so you know you will get the MOST out of your color. Alot of shampoos will actually strip the color molecules out and can fade your color extremely fast.
2. COVER YOUR MANE. When in the SUN or WATER, cover that hair! If you are a swimmer and in constant chorline, WEAR A SWIMCAP. Chlorine will fade hair color FAST. Most importantly, cover your mane in the SUN! The SUN is the ultimate hair color "bleach". It will lighten any color, whether virgin hair OR permanently colored hair. I recommend getting a product that is a UVA protectant such as Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Primer and wear a hat if possible.
1. LOSE THE TOOLS.
Believe it or not, HOT tools cause a significant amount of hair color fading. We love Guy Tang and his video on hair color fading. He shows how even 2 seconds of flat ironing your hair can cause a HUGE difference in hair quality and hair color fading. Check it out here!
Blunt is Better.
The BLUNT-END haircut is hot as ever. It makes your hair appear THICKER and super healthy when the body continues to the bottom of the cut. Blunt is uniform without layers. It even makes the THINNEST hair look FULL and THICK.
Add in a great volumizing mouse such as MOUSSE BOUFFANTE by Kerastase Couture Styling
and you will a gorgeous MID-LENGTH haircut.
Introducing NEW, FORMULATED products by Kerastase to make your hair feel and look healthier, smoother, and SHINY!!!!!!
Elixir Ultime Oil Serum adds extra smoothness to the hair for normal to thick hair
Elixir Ultime Spray for smoothness and volume for normal to fine hair.
How Can I Grow My Hair? How To Grow Your Hair LONG In One Year.
1. STOP with the hot tools. Go au natural..... Put that blow dryer and flat iron away. It is a tried and true tip the more you air dry, the healthier your hair will be. If you absolutely have to choose one or the other. If you blow dry, then use a Kerastase Thermique on your wet hair before you blow dry and make sure you use a VERY GOOD quality blow dryer. We recommend the SOLONO PROFESSIONAL DRYER (SOLD AT SALON ENVY). If you air dry and choose to use a hot iron of some sort, use Kerastase Serum Therapiste on your dry hair before you use the wand or flat iron.
2. Lighten up on the lightener. .:) No, that doesn't mean go lighter. STOP with the lightener. Stop highlighting and lightening of any sort. Deposit only color is your BEST bet to use the least amount of chemicals possible. Trust me, we LOOOOOOOVE hair color. BUT, if your goal is long healthy hair- give your hair the break and LET IT GROW!
3. Take care of your body. This may sound cliche, but your hair is a reflection of your inner health. Eat those fruits and veggies, get your sleep, take your vitamins, and DRINK ALOT OF WATER!!!!!! About those vitamins, take a multi and a HAIR, SKIN, AND NAIL VITAMIN. You can find these GEMS at any healthy food store. They are a compilation of the best vitamins for your hair, skin, and nails. These vitamins will make your hair STRONGER and HEALTHIER.
4. See a Stylist Regularly. I can't stress this point enough. Make sure you see your stylist OFTEN, as in at least every 12 weeks. A trim is an IMPERATIVE part of growing your hair out. Make sure your stylist is someone you can trust and is not SCISSOR happy. That may sound like a joke, but there are times where my clients tell me they have been "growing" their hair for 5 years. Okay, obviously somebody has been cutting everything that has been growing, if your hair is still at your shoulders.. :)
5. Use the products. The products that your stylist tells you to use are not just recommendations, they are essential. Especially, if you are dealing with damage, dryness, or weak hair. Get on a regime that your stylist sets you up with. This means shampoo, conditioner, treatments, and also the styling products.
Stick to these 5 tips on how to grow your hair long, and I will personally guarantee you at least 5-6 inches in one year :)
Rachel at Salon Envy
(In order from LIGHTEST to STRONGEST)
Won't leave you feeling like an '80s prom queen.
- A multi-dimensional styling tool with flexible hold, workability, exceptional memory and can take heat and repeated brushing - on supermodels and non-supermodels alike.
We hated smuggling hairsprays in from Europe, so we invented this.
- The ultimate session working spray - it gives light hold, subtle degrees of control, helps hair respond to heat tools and gives grip for easier styling.
Great overall styling tool.
- Mist this onto a finished style to hold shape and tame strays - it offers fairly firm (yet flexible, workable, brushable) control.
It's not your grandmother's hairspray, but she's guaranteed to love it.
- A modern rendition of traditional hairspray, with strong hold, a subtle sheen that brushes out like a breeze.
GL APPS- Smart Hair Extensions
Latest & Greatest Hair Extension Technology
Fast, invisible, and the very best hair. GL Apps are the first smart extensions. At last there’s hair thickening and hair extensions as smart as many of the things that make our lives sharp, lively and easy.
"GL" stands, of course, for Great Lengths, and for the top quality that Great Lengths offers. "Apps" means Application. What do we mean by that? Quite simply: GL Apps are applied to your hair – without any form of external unit. Quickly, simply and invisibly.
Not enough volume? Hair too short? Not the right sort of look? And on top of all that: Not enough time to get around breathing new life into your hair?
No problem! Heres your answer= GL Apps from Great Lengths.
Now offering at Salon Envy Chicago by Rachel.
Select your favourite GL Apps and get them applied to your hair straight away. Just a few easy steps are enough when applied!
...and your dream of more volume, a new length, or simply a fresh, new hairstyle can come true in the twinkling of an eye.
The Best Exfoliant For Your Face.
Dermalogica Multivitamin Thermafoliant Thermal Skin exfoliant is the best facial exfoliant on the market for skin care. It is a powerful skin polisher that combines both physical and cheical exfoliants to refine the skin texture and enhance vitamin delivery. Resurfacing microgranules gently polish off dulling skin cells to reveal smoother, fresher skin cells to reveal smoother, fresher, skin immediately.
The best part about Dermalogica's Multivitamin Thermafoliant skin polisher is that it heats up as you scrub your skin. It leaves your skin very refreshed and moisturized with Rose flower oil and annuss seed oil.
Formulated without artificial fragrances, colors, and parabens. Product guaranteed when professionally recommended.
2015 Mens Hair Trends
2015 Vintage 1930's 1940's Mens Hairstyles are SUPER HOT right now.
The ASYMMETRICAL UNDERCUT is parted on one side and combed or pushed over. This cut looks great with a HARD PART, where we actually cut in your part with our trimmers. This is all over the runways for men and looks extremely clean.
Dermalogica Facial Products:
Our Top 3 Best SELLERS
1.) Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm:
~Powerful firming complex helps combat lines around the delicate eye area. Antioxidant Vitamins C and E help improve elasticity and scavenge, free radicals, while silicones shield vulnerable skin, acting as a protective barrier against futher assault.
~Unique botanical extracts help firm smooth skin, texture, and help minimize the appearance of fine lines. Makes a great makeup prep, prior to concealer application.
2.) Dermalogica Multivitamin Thermafoliant:
~Thermal skin exfoliant infuses skin with age-fighting ingredients. This powerful skin polisher combines physical and chemical exfoliants to refine skin texture and enhance vitamin delivery.
~Resurfacing microgranules gently polish off dead skin skills, to reveal smoother, fresher skin immediately.
~Unique thermal techonlogy activates upon contact with water to stimulate sloughing lactic acid. silic acid and retinol. Skin feels and looks dramatically improved and smoother.
~Concentrated customizeable nighttime retinol treatment cream. Accelerates skin renewal and reduces the appearance of skin-aging. ACtive .5% encapsulated pure retinol helps increase collagen production and cell turnover.
~Powerful peptides and antioxidant Vitamin C help reduce uneven skin tone and discoloration.
~Formulated with a clincally-proven bioenergized Copper amino acid complex shown to reduce visible wrinkles and improve the skin firmness. Cermaides and active Polysaccharides hydrate and prevent water loss in the skin, helping soften fine lines.
Your Go-to Guide to Becoming A Redhead
You know you've thought about it. If you ever seen a woman wear it right, its a color that screams CONFIDENCE! as she strolls on by...
The Green-eyed Red Head. Most likely if you have a primary eye color of green, you will make a FABULOUS redhead. Alot of times clients with GREEN eyes, have copper color specks in their eyes. These little specks of color are what we call your "secondary eye color". This is what we like to match hair color to. Green eyes literally POP with a redhead hair color shade of COPPER. (See photo below) Copper is more of an "orangey-red".
Red is the most VIBRANT hair color to wear that still can pass for natural :). Heres some perfect tips/tricks to follow before becoming a redhead.
The Blue-eyed Redhead. Red hair is super flattering to those blue-eyed beauties. Copper hair color is more of a orange-red, and this red is more of a blue-red. The blue-reds will compliment the Blue-Eyed beauty even more than any red shade. If you want to dabble in red, ask your colorist to add a peek-a-boo highlight just around your face. :) You'll be surpised how many people notice a little, but flattering change!
Brilliant Colour: Bain Chroma Captive, Fondant Chroma Captive, Nectar Thermique. Perfect for highlighted and colour treated hair, the shampoo and conditioner protect from fading while moisturizing for added shine and softness. Nectar Thermique is perfect to help protect each strand from heat styling and protects against frizz.
Ultimate Restoration: Bain Force Architect, Ciment Anti-Usure, Ciment Thermique.For compromised hair that is weakened this combination of products provides structural reinforcement. The Pro-Keratin formula fills in the gaps to rebuild the hair fiber, healing and sealing each strand for added protection in and out of the shower.
Exceptional Nourishment: Bain Satin #2, Lait Vital, Nectar Thermique. For normal to dry, sensitized hair these products give your hair the nourishment it needs. The Irisome Complex gives each strand protein, and protects it from drying out. It leaves your hair soft, smooth, shiny, and healthy.
For second day styles that last (and last). Use Prêt-à-powder to dry-style hair, add lift, and keep blow dries looking fresher longer.
Full of Cheer: Thickening Shampoo, Conditioner, and Dryspun Finish Spray. Create big, bold holiday styles with travel size Thickening shampoo and conditioner, plus Thickening Dryspun Finish. For an instantly festive look with airy weightless texture, spray Dryspun Finish wherever you want volume and ruffle with hands.
Don’t get left in the cold this fall, check out the top New Trends of the season.
*** Those of you not quite ready for the bang commitment, can get a great faux bang that clips in and gives you the option to mix up your look from day to day.
- The messy bun: Worn high like a ballerina. This look is again classic, but a bit roughed up.
- The Low Ponytail: Where this look sleeked, another trend for the season, and low at the nape of the neck.
- The Blow out: These never go out of style, regardless if you opt for the bombshell or go for the retro vibe with more volume at the top. These looks are always a classic.
-Elegant hair pins take the place of those simple colorful bobby pins, giving any style a polished bit of glam that can either match your other jewelry or stand alone as a statement piece.
Why Should you Wax Your Sweet Spot? :)
You won't have to worry about razor bumps or burns... All those nasty bumps and burns come from shaving, not waxing.
3. Thinner, less hair re-growth.
The more you wax, the less hair that will grow. Also, hair will grow back less coarse. Fine hair is much more pleasant than thick, black coarse hair down there!
Our esteticians usually take less than 30 minutes for a FULL brazillian. No more wasted time and energy in the shower by shaving. No more razor shopping and those little accidental cuts with new razors.
The sun can reek some serious havoc on our hair. Try a luxurious & customized conditioning treatment next time you're in the salon. For the month of August, Salon Envy is offering the Kérastase In Salon Treatments for 20% off.
First, we diagnose the primary and secondary personalized concerns for your hair.
Second, we massage the customized treatment into the hair. The ultra-concentrated treatments penetrate the active ingredients instantly and last about 4-6 weeks.
Be. Honest. With. Your. Hair.
The newest addition is the Surf Infusion, born on the beach where surfer girls and guys oil their hair before and after catching waves. This spray contains a tropical mix of coconut, mango seed, passion fruit, and palm oils which conditions and softens hair. These fruit extracts along with algae extract and UV filters protects your hair as well as nourishes it. The special mineral and sea salt blend is what helps create waves and builds tousled, touchable texture and body. These products are available at Salon Envy Chicago, and are great for creating not only seabreezy texture and wind swept waves, but effortless updo’s as well.
1. The Ballerina Bun
A tight high bun will help keep you cool in the summer heat and will also give you an instant elegant feel. To get this look, spritz damp hair with texturizing spray and pull it back into a high ponytail then twist the tail around the base and secure your hair with bobby pins. If you’re short on time, try slipping in a hair donut. The donut will quickly create the same look and also help keep shorter layers in place.
The Tuck and Cover is another easy hairstyle that will keep your shoulders cool during the hotter months. To get this look, all you need is a stretchy headband. You can find step-by-step instructions here and watch a video tutorial here. To summarize, all of your hair should be wrapped up and then tucked into the band. If any tails or flyaways slip out just wrap and retuck them. If any of them are too short to reach, hide them within the loops. Finish with hairspray.
3. Dutch Braid Accented Ponytail
Summer is the perfect time to showoff your best braids. We love this hairstyle because it is easy and time efficient. Try this hairstyle on either wet or dry hair. You can find step-by-instructions here and watch a video tutorial here.
Thank you for reading our post! Share with us YOUR favorite summer hairstyles in the comments below! Don’t forget that Salon Envy is here for all of your hair and beauty needs.
Credit, love and thanks go to missysue.com and cutegirlshairstyles.com for these great beauty tip ideas and images.
Thanks for reading!
The Top Haircut for Spring 2015:
The Wavy Bob A.K.A. The WOB
Wob. Hmmmm.. Sounds like mob, but with the letter "W". From Kim Kardashian to Jennifer Anniston, the most famous celebrity haircuts are inspired by it; The WOB a.k.a. The Wavy Bob. This innovative word has been floating around salons all over the country as the new, HOTTEST, hair trend.
It can be worn silky & sleek, but most of the time its worn as a sexy & textured bob. With curls or waves going every which direction and alot of volume, it gives the messy, yet elusive sexy bob.
Best Salon in Chicago Specializing in Corrective Color
Voted "Best Salon in Chicago" by google and city search, Salon Envy is known for color correction hair services that seem impossible to the average...
Corrective color is one of the most customized and intricate services we offer at Salon Envy. Every client requiring a color correction most likely has been through a horrific salon experience. We pride ourselves at Salon Envy for having the reputation of best salon in Chicago. We specialize in correcting the color mistakes and prior negative salon experiences by giving our clients the utmost professional, customized, corrective & POSITIVE hair experiences they've ever had! We love to "FIX" what other salons or your kitchen dye job have done to ruin your hair color!
For the month of February, the best salon in Chicago "Salon Envy Chicago" is offering Kerastase In-Salon Ritual Fusio Dose Treatments for . (Normally +)
We are here to answer all of those important questions you have about HAIR EXTENSIONS! Here at Salon Envy we offer Great Lengths Cold Fusion Hair Extensions, Tony Odishio & EuroSoCap Hair Extensions.
Hair Extensions are more popular now than they ever have been. Almost every celebrity you see in the magazines that has BEAUTIFUL hair, I hate to break it to you, is wearing hair extensions.
We put together the most common questions we get during our extension consultations and our answers.
Do hair extensions cause damage?
Hair Extensions are a cosmetic procedure and need to be applied and maintained properly to ensure that your application will not cause damage to your hair. It is very important to listen to your extension application professional and follow instructions properly. Every client has a different need, different application, & concerns that will be addressed to make sure that there will be no damage with their hair extension application.
(Information From Great Lengths USA Website)
1. Choose a long standing, high quality system of hair extensions such as Great Lengths.
2. The skill level of the stylist is crucial for a damage free hair application therefore ensure your hair stylist is a qualified hairdresser who also has been certified in the application of your chosen hair extensions. All Great Lengths extensionists have been trained and certified directly by the company who has the most rigid requirements for certification in the industry.
3. Complete a full consultation with your extensionist to ensure you and your hair are suitable for your chosen hair extensions. All Great Lengths extensionists are trained to complete consultations for their clients and will provide this service free of charge.
4. Carefully follow the aftercare regime to properly maintain your hair extensions. Great Lengths have a range of Aftercare products available and all Great Lengths extensionists will ensure you know how to maintain your hair extensions before you leave the salon.
5. Always go back to your salon for maintenance check appointments and if you experience any problems with your hair extension. Great Lengths extensionists will check your bonds, hair and scalp and help you to resolve any problems.
6. Never remove your hair extensions yourself. Always return to the salon to have your hair extensions professionally removed. Great Lengths extensionists have all been trained to remove the hair extensions using specially developed Great Lengths removal gel or removal solution.
How long do hair extensions last?
Hair Extensions can last up to 6 months if maintained properly with an average hair growth. This can vary depending on the clients lifestyle, speed of hair growth (if a clients hair grows very fast than less time is expected), and also how well the hair extensions are maintained. We have clients that wear hair extensions for 3-6 months. After 6 months, the average head of hair grows about 3 inches. When the hair extensions grow past 3 inches from the scalp they become hard to brush, maintain, and also hide while wearing certain hair styles.
How are the hair extensions applied?
There are many ways to add hair extensions. Hair extensions can be clipped, glued, sewn-in, clamped with micro-links, fused with keratin bonds, attached with ultrasonic vibration (cold fusion), and taped in. Here at Salon Envy we offer customized clip-in hair extensions, thermal fusion, & ultrasonic vibration cold fusion hair extension techniques.
Great Lengths patented protein polymer bond ensures a quick and simple application with an ultrasound system. Bonds are made from synthetic keratin mimicking the molecular structure of natural keratin found in human hair and maintaining a pH value of 5.5 to be compatible with your hair, scalp, and skin.
How do I take care of hair extensions?
Hair extensions become just like your natural hair and are very easy to maintain. That being said, there still is maintence that comes with any longer hair! With your set of Great Lengths Hair Extensions you will recieve a special brush and all of the information as to how to wash, condition, and blow-dry your hair extensions. The hair can be blow-dried, curled, flat ironed, and basically treated like your own!
Matt at Salon Envy -Euro So Cap Hair Extensions Application
Rachel at Salon Envy- Great Lengths Cold Fusion Hair Extension Application
Okay, its embarrassing, annoying, and HARD to disguise in brunettes; dandruff. Where does dandruff come from?
Dandruff actually means small pieces of dead skin in a person's hair. Thats exactly what it is, dry scalp/ pieces of your dead skin that flake off.
3 helpful tips to combat dandruff
1. Brush Your Hair. BRUSH your hair & BRUSH your scalp! So many clients forget to BRUSH! Brush your scalp with a soft bristle brush to exfoliate your scalp and remove excess buildup of dead skin.
2. Shampoo. Clarify or 2-3 shampoos. Scrub-a-dub, dub. Make sure that you are cleansing your scalp WELL. Get your scalp very clean and exfoliated. Just like your face and body needs exfoliation, so does our scalp. Clarifying shampoos help even more by removing BUILD-up caused by hairspray & hair products. For the more chonric dandruff problem try a shampoo that has a medication in it. Dandruff is a small form of fungus. Its very common and sometimes needs medication to combat and fight it off! Our favorite is Kerastase Bain Exfoliant Shampoo.
3. See A Doctor. If your dandruff does not improve by a good exfoliation or a medicated shampoo, than go see a dermatologist. They will give you medication to put on either at night or before you shampoo that is stronger than any shampoo can do. There are natural remedies too, such as tea tree oil, baking soda, or apple cider vinegar rinses.
2015 A New Year, A New Look = A New Haircut
Eat better, workout more, spend more quality time with loved ones, etc... Whatever your new year resolutions are, don't forget about your new HAIRCUT! Leave it up to your stylist to find what is most flattering for your hair type & face shape. After all, it is our job..
Think about the last time you have had a change, has it been over a year? It is time for a change. Here are a few of our favorite 2015 haircuts.
The winter months are here and if you are wondering what to do with your blonde hair color, let our stylists help you with their TOP three tips!
1. Go MORE Natural with a LOW-LIGHT.
During the winter months, the sun isn't as close to the earth and we don't spend as much time in the sun. Naturally our hair color gets darker because we are not out allowing that hot sunshine to bleach it out. Let this reflect in your hair color by adding a more natural blonde low-light or color that is similar to your natural color.
2. Add a heavier highlight color around the face.
Adding a little big more of a thicker highlight around your face only will brighten you up without washing you out. Skip the very bright blonde everywhere until the weather breaks. Leave the color on top a little darker by highlighting LESS and as mentioned in #1 adding those low-lights.
3. Tone it DOWN.
Ask your stylist about what color you could tone down with that would flatter your skin and eye color. Everyone has a different eye color and skin tone so leave this up to the professional to formulate the best color to tone your blondes down. This will add a shiney gloss while taking the "white" out of your blonde through these winter months..
The higher the hair, the closer to heaven...
We all want it. The question is, HOW TO GET IT!
So whats the best way to get "MORE VOLUME", "BODY", "VOLUPTUOUS", SEXY HAIR?
3 top tips on how to get more volume in your hair.
1. The Cut. Your haircut has WAY more responsibility than you give it for weighing your hair down! Make sure you have the CORRECT cut for your hair. For finer, thin hair, leave as much as possible around the perimeter and layer with caution. Layers can take away the fullness through the middle and bottom of your hair, leaving it thin and stringy. Do not texturize or thin out fine hair. On coarse, thick hair, layers will take away the weight and give the hair the ability to be LIGHTER and create more volume and height on top. Also, thinning thick or coarse hair will make a HUGE difference in weight as well to take away from the "MOUNTAIN EFFECT". The mountain effect is where hair is FLAT on top and thick and huge at the bottom, hence mountain.
2. The Style. The way you STYLE effects your BODY and Volume tremendously. First, make sure to style your hair as soon as you get out of the shower. That way, your hair is wet and you are setting the hydrogen bonds in the direction and style that you want. The best way for volume is to blow dry your hair UPSIDE down. Flip your hair over and get most of the water out first. Then continue to style as usual, whether it may be with a round brush or a flat brush.
3. The Products. Last, but absolutely not least, the products. Products are what give flat hair texture hold, curly hair humidity control and smoothness, and basically whatever it is that your natural hair LACKS! Products have a HUGE role in getting volume AND getting it to stay! Here are a few of our favorites to give straight or flat hair BODY and VOLUME. Remember, not all products will work for all hair types. It is very important to see your stylist to get a professional opinion on what will work best for your hair to get the maximum volume for your hair.
VIP POWDER A.K.A. Volume In Powder is a dry volumizing spray that gives your hair body & texture to give it that out of bed, sexy, volumnous hair.
Mousse Bouffante is one of our best-selling volumizing mousses. It gives flat hair body, hold, and sets a wonderful foundation for a volumizing blow-dry. We love that it doesn't give your hair any heavy or greasy feeling, just the perfect amount of BODY & VOLUME.
Lastly, Lift Vertige. Lift Vertige is an up-lifting root gel that will give you the LIFT at your roots to give you like the ad says, "volume pushed to new heights"!
powerbright trx ™
Brighter skin, without compromise. Get uneven skin tone under control,.
Fall is here and our skin is most likely damaged from the spring and summer months of SUNSHINE! "Fall" into great skin this year with Dermalogicas new product line "Power Bright TRX".
The product was developed to help BANISH brown spots, uneven skin tones, and other pigment issues. There is a 3-STEP system which includes C-12 Pure Bright Serum (potent skin brightener), Pure Light SPF50 (daytime brightening treatment moisturizer) and Pure Night (overnight brightening treatment cream).
- Helps minimize brown spots and discoloration while protecting against future pigmentation issues.
- Brightens skin and helps clarify uneven skin tone.
- Great for previewing PowerBright TRx™ products or continuing your regimen while traveling.
how to use
After cleansing, apply C-12 Pure Bright Serum directly to areas of uneven skin tone. Wait one minute for product absorption. Follow with Pure Light SPF50 during the day and Pure Night during the evening.
For best results, always apply C-12 Pure Bright Serum before your moisturizer.
Since our "LOB" a.k.a. Long Bob Haircut blog was posted recently, we figured we would show how we can CREATE one!
If your sides are short/damaged/too thin and your'e unhappy with your hair all together: Consider adding extensions to the sides & cutting some length and damage off the back. Here on our client Anna, Rachel added Great Lengths USA Cold Fusion hair extensions to her sides while giving her the LOB haircut! The sides of Annas hair were not long enough to have the look, so we decided to CREATE it!
You may have heard this new vocabulary word slowly trickling throughout the hair-fashion world: LOB. This is the long bob. Of course, the most famous haircut fashionista style starter herself, Jennifer Anniston, started this one again in Hollywood. Women everywhere, even a Kardashian, have been jumping on the "LOB HAIRCUT" train. Here are a few pictures showing a few different styles. The basic idea is a long bob, so it can have layers or not, middle part or not, longer-shorter, etc...
Every staff member at Salon Envy is professionally trained and educated on how to give you couture blow-drys. They are trained by professional companies such as Kerastase USA & Bumble & Bumble. We use the highest line of products featuring Kerastase Couture Styling products and Bumble & Bumble's entire line of products too! We would love to see you in the salon for your weekly or bi-weekly blowouts!
We want to formally introduce our two new stylists at Salon Envy! We are so happy to have them both, Welcome Lori and Leah!!
Lori has been a practicing hair stylist since graduating from the Paul Mitchell School in 2009. She possesses a well-developed sense for each client's individual style, and prides herself on staying on top of all the latest trends. Lori is well-versed in Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Bumble & Bumble, and Kerastase product lines, and she constantly strives to expand her knowledge base on the latest products and techniques in order to best meet each of her client's personal needs.
Lori is highly skilled in both cut and color. She is especially proficient with women's long hair styles and ombré color techniques. She looks forward to creating the perfect personalized client experience and providing the best possible service with each and every
appointment at Salon Envy.
10. Be Realistic. Don't come in with fried, unhealthy hair and expect to leave looking like Kim Kardashian. Unless you're getting extensions that is :)
9. Be On Time. We truly TRY to always be on time or early for you. Most likely we will not be able to do all or any of your services. Have the mutual respect for us!
8. Trims DO matter! If you want your hair to look good and be healthy get on a regular, schedule basis for haircuts/hair trims. They DO matter and will make all of the difference in maintaing a good style and healthy hair, this is even 100x more important if you are growing out your hair.
7. Invest in your hair. If you're already at a top salon in Chicago (SALON ENVY CHICAGO), don't skimp on those locks because of the prices. Invest in a good shampoo, conditioner/mask, and products that will maintain the health and condition of your hair. Also, most of the time when you purchase at a salon it goes towards your stylists education fund, which in turn will benefit you, two for one!
6. If you're not happy, communicate. A little communication goes a LONG way with your hairdresser. Don't expect them to know what you want. Bring pictures! Sometimes just communicating (if there was a problem) will solve it and you will begin to develop a relationship with your hair dresser which will benefit YOU! You'll never see a woman with good hair that is a HAIR GYPSY. Be LOYAL.
5. Be healthy. This is very important. Be physically & emotionally healthy. This means to exercise, invest in YOURself, and eat healthy! Drink your water too! This will have a direct correlation with your hair, so if you want good hair, take good care of your body!
4. Tell your friends about us. This makes your friends happy and us happy, two for one! Referrals are the BEST clients!
3. Pre-book. We know it is hard, but this ensures you a time spot you want! Especially months before the holidays, book those appointments and keep them.
2. Don't SKIMP on your tools. Trust us for your hair tools, too! Make sure to consult with us before you purchase your blow-dryer or other tools! The grocery stores try to take over the hair industry. You should not buy your curling iron where you buy your broccoli. Let us help you.
1. BE OPEN! Be open to suggestions from your hairdresser, who is the professional. Sometimes it may be "OUT OF YOUR BOX", yet the best thing you have ever done!
1. Body Waxing is LESS irritating to the skin than shaving.
3. The MORE you WAX, the LESS hair and the FINER your hair will be!
Natural Looking Curly Hair Without Natural Curly Hair
BANTU CURLS OR BANTU KNOTS
Bantu Knots are a great way to style your hair curly, with or without natural curls. Section your hair in to several small sections while its wet and twist until the entire section is twisted up. Then secure with a rubberband or bobby pin. Dry completely. Take out, shake, & STYLE!
Summer: Tis' the season to eliminate FRIZZ.
Not to mention stronger, smoother, & shinier hair!
Initialiste by Kerastase was featured in Marie Claire magazine... This is by far one of our best treatment products sold by Kerastase.
Initialiste has many benefits. It is made to transform your hair in 7 days. It is Kerastases' 1st skincare-inspired super serum that acts on the four attributes of total hair beauty:
Click here to read some reviews posted on lookfantastic.com.
Of course it recieved a full 5-STAR rating!!!
4 Tips On Communcating With Your Hair Extrodinare!
Miscommunication problems happen between stylists and clients often..... What is it about the salon? The moment you walk in its as if you cannot speak or understand the words that are coming out of your hairdressers mouth. Blunt what? Point-cut who? Dust my ends where?
I'm not sure why hairdressers speak to their guests like they've all graduated miss beauty academy and went through the salon system. Hello! We are civilians. We barely know how to get the frizz out of our own hair thats been on our head for 30+ years, let alone know how we want it cut. Thats your job lady (or gent)!!!!! But the problem happens when what you said you wanted turns into what you did NOT get.
We are going to make this super simple for you and break down the 4 most important steps to follow when communicating to your hair expert.
1.) Be HONEST! Don't lie to your stylist and act like you have those brushes, products, and TIME for that matter to style your hair. If you are a "wash and go" type of guest, then say that! If you get your hair cut once a decade, don't forget to mention that! If you do not understand our ambiguous jargon, than ask! Sometimes even we don't even know what we are talking about :)....
2.) Bring Pictures. If you know what you want or would like your hairdressers opinion on something, bring a picture. Pictures work wonders because "honey" or "ruby" to you may not mean "honey" or "ruby" to us. Make sure its realistic. If you look like madonna, don't come in with beyonce's picture in hand.
3.) Know what you DO NOT want. Okay, so maybe you don't know what you want. Thats okay. Forget the pictures! If you know some "don't wants", that can help us tremendously. I may not know about that time your hairdresser chopped your bangs and you hated them for a year straight. Let us know what you do not want and that way we will know what NOT to give you as options.
4.) Be Realistic. Like I said in number 3, do not expect us to grow your hair 10 inches and add thickness (that is, unless your getting hair extensions). We are hair technicians not magicians! Communicating in your consultation is where we can talk about exactly what would fit you and get you closest to your dream hair as possible!
Check out her link here! http://www.groupon.com/articles/a-play-by-play-of-my-first-brazilian-wax-fv
A Play-By-Play of My First Brazilian Wax
Until last week, I’d never had a bikini wax, and I thought of Brazilian waxes mostly as a terrible punishment—right up there with getting reincarnated as a roach. That’s why my boss thought a post about my first Brazilian would be funny. And because I kind of agreed, I found myself making an appointment at Lincoln Park’s Salon Envy (2658 N. Halsted).
Part of me thought, “How bad can it be?” Another part of me thought, “It will feel like getting shot with a cannon.”
Before the Wax
My friends were no help when I tried to figure out what to expect. Some of them said it was weirdly relaxing; others said I should take ibuprofen and stretch my screaming muscles. “Do you know if she’s going to use hard or soft wax?” one of my friends asked. I didn’t even know there were two types of wax. By the time I arrived at the salon, I was super confused.
Luckily my aesthetician, Nataliya Dilay, knew exactly what she was doing—she’s been honing her technique for 17 years. (That’s her next to me in the picture.) She explained that she would be using hard wax. Unlike soft wax, it doesn’t require a strip to remove, and it doesn’t stick to your skin, just your hairs. It makes the process a little less painful.
She reassured me one last time that this was going to be pretty different from getting shot with a cannon. Then I took off my pants, and we got down to business.
During the Wax
I was holding out hope I wouldn’t have to go through with it. Some people are allergic to wax, and Nataliya says she can tell after the first pull: their skin immediately turns red and bumpy, and she stops the treatment. Unfortunately, the first slab of wax didn’t give me itchy bumps. The first slab was just the painful beginning. Brazilian. Waxes. Hurt.
Nataliya’s expertise really helped, though. She applied pressure after each pull to dull the pain; it looked sort of like she was karate chopping me. She worked fast, too, and talked me through the whole process. Before she waxed a particularly painful spot, she’d tell me to take a deep breath. The rest of the time, she told me tons of fun tidbits about waxing. Apparently, some people read magazines and text during their Brazilians, like they’re getting a haircut! It all depends on your pain threshold.
Mine is on the low end, which Nataliya accounted for. She started with a regular bikini wax, then went further in, switching from side to side as she worked. That way, if I made her stop at any point, the results would still be symmetrical. In the end, though, I got through the whole thing like a champ. (If a champ makes occasional screeching noises, and balls up her fists and kind of shoves them in her eye sockets.)
Once it was over, Nataliya tweezed some stray hairs, dusted me with powder, and let me out into the world. I half-expected a cavalcade of trumpeteers and whistling bluebirds on the sidewalk as I left, until I remembered my makeover was a secret makeover.
After the Wax
The pain didn’t linger—it only hurt when the wax was being pulled off. No aftereffects at all, unless you count feeling victorious! And a little strange. Wearing pants was more of an experience than usual.
Once I was dressed, I hugged Nataliya goodbye, unsure if I would ever see her again. It was doable, but it hurt! I had some thinking to do.
Nataliya did say that the first time generally hurts the most. After a while, people tend to get used to it. And after a day in the life of Favin 2.0, I’m inclined to believe her. I feel so fresh and so clean! I think I’d be down for round two.
There is no better time than SPRING.
TRENDY, LOW-MAINTENCE, & CUSTOMIZED.
Lighten your hair with BALAYAGE HIGHLIGHTS.
CLIENTS love that Balayage hair painting is less expensive to maintain than traditional highlights.
It varies by client, but many can go 3 - 4 months between appointments since their natural hair color will blend in with the natural-looking, painted highlights as it grows.
Balayage allows us to utilize our creativity and artistic talent to personalize the placement of each highlight for a customized result.
Let's face it, hair color fades. I don't care if its the most permanent hair color on the market, we all experience it. Here are a few TIPS to prevent your hair color from fading.
1. KNOW YOUR COLOR/COLORIST. Know who is doing your color and what color you get. Are you getting permanent hair color re-freshed your ends with a high developer over and over? Do you use a semi-permanent that fades automatically within a month of shampooing? Make sure your colorist is KNOWLEDGEABLE and knows how to prevent fading. This way they won't be the one causing your hair color to fade.
2. USE THE RECOMMENDED SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER. Your colorist should ALWAYS reccommend shampoo and conditioner. Listen to them and take their advice. Not only will this help your color LAST, but also will keep your color VIBRANT!
3. LIMIT HOT WATER ON YOUR HAIR. Hot water will open the cuticle of your hair, which will make hair color fade out faster. Be sure to use a cooler temperature on your hair when shampooing and conditioning.
4. LIMIT SUNSHINE ON THOSE LOCKS. The sun will definitely fade your color. Even if the weather is cloudy and you think the sun isnt shining out there, it is. Be sure to wear a UV protection product in your hair and/or a hat.
5. PROTECT YOUR HAIR FROM THE CHLORINE. Swimmers beware: pool chemicals fade hair color tremendously. Be sure to load the conditioner on your hair before you swim and shampoo immediately after.
Do They Actually Work?
Want Stronger, Shinier, Healthier Hair?
Would You Like Your Hair To Grow FASTER!?
Yes, THEY DO! Yes, they will make your hair grow faster and healthier! Vitamins & Minerals are essential to keeping your hair healthy. Are you experiencing hair loss? Weak hair? Supplement with vitamins!
The best way to get biotin is naturally from our diet. But, it never hurts to supplement with a biotin vitamin. It is recommended not only to take a biotin vitamin, but to take a "HAIR, SKIN, & NAILS" vitamin. That way you get all of the essential vitamins & minerals that promote healthy, strong, and fast growing hair!
The essential vitamins that help our hair grow faster and healthier are omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B & C, iron, folate, zinc, beta carotene (Vitamin A), protein, & selenium.
Acne. The sweet gift left by our over-active sebateous glands. The best part is- its on the part of our body that every single person we come into contact with sees, our face. There are many causes and many treatments.
Here at Salon Envy we offer an amazing treatment regime to follow and clear your skin from this wretched issue.
Causes: Diet, Lack of Water, Stress & Hormones, Bacteria from hands/makeup brushes/ sheets/pillows, Internal Factors, Soaps/Cleansers, Moisurizers, Hair Products, Etc.
Salon Treatments Recommended:
1) Facial. We recommend to come in for a facial because it will help us determine the best possible products and regime for your skin. We may recommend doing extractions that will rid your skin of the dark, clogged sebum in your pours. This will give your skin a fresh start.
2) Acid Treatments. We may recommend an acid treatment to dry up your current acne. They will also exfoliate and leave your skin feeling cleaner, smoother, and resurfaced after one treatment.
3) Routine. Its all about consistency when it comes to skin. Rule out all of the possible problems by combating them all... Here are the most common causes and solutions...
We are going to LETTER them, since all are important and there is no specific order.
A) Drink AT LEAST 8 glasses of 8oz of water daily.
B) Eat your FRUITS & VEGGIES. Make sure you are consuming those vitamins within your diet and also if possible, supplement with vitamins to give a bonus to your diet.
C)Exercise Regularly. I know this sounds like a broken record for some of you. Exercise *even as little as a 30 minute walk a day* will not only stimulate positive hormones in your brain, but it will help decrease stress & clear up skin. WIN-WIN!
D) Cleanse 2x a day with Dermalogica Medibac Acne Clearning Cleanser. When cleansing, Pat dry with a clean washcloth and moisturize with Dermalogica Mediabac Acne Mattifier. At night time, spot treat with Dermalogica Overnight Clearing Gel.
E) New Makeup Applicators Daily. We can't stress this enough. Makeup containers contain MILLIONS of bacteria in them! Use a fresh new sponge or cotton daily. Otherwise your acne will be pasted on daily and you will never clear up! Make sure your makeup kit looks like it is BRAND NEW. It should be spot less.
F) Clean sheets & pillow cases at least once a week. Use a natural detergent free of fragrance and other chemicals that will just irritate your skin and cause more acne.
G) Use Oil-Free hair products and keep your hair off of your face. Bangs are NOT good for a client that has acne. The oil from our scalp travels down our hair shaft causing oil on our skin. NOT good.
Cleansers, Moisturizers, Clearing gels, Daily makeup applicators, Oil-Free hair products, (Keep Hair OFF Face), Clean your pillow cases & sheets weekly,
Benefits: Transform your hair in 7 days with Initialiste. Our 1st skincare-inspired super serum that acts on the four attributes of total hair beauty:
Step 2.) Trim your hair regularly.
It is VERY important to keep up with your hair cuts. It sounds so simple, but it is imperative for strong hair. The second your hair splits, the second it becomes weaker, more brittle, & prone to breakage. If you are someone that is bad at keeping up with hair cuts, PRE-BOOK your haircuts at your salon to help remind you when it is time. Here at Salon Envy Chicago we give a discount per service if you pre-book your appointments and keep the appointment. If you have to move the appointment you will still recieve the discount, just as long as you do not cancel it.
Step 3.) Turn the BLOW-DRYER down.
The heat and the power from your blow dryer will cause your hair to become weaker. Turn your blowdryers heat down and power to medium or low. If your hair dryer does not have this setting... Then get another blow dryer :)
Step 4.) Protect those LOCKS.
Thermal Protectors, Kerastase Ciment Thermique (Our Personal Favorite), work wonders of STRENGTH for hair. Protect your hair from the blow dryer and hot tools. Make sure you ALWAYS use a thermal protector.
What is the best skin care peel to change your skin?
BioActive Peel by Dermalogica
Our esthetician Dana says, "It leaves your skin resurfaced, smoothed, brighter, & tighter". She herself had the BioActive Peel done and says it left her skin "noticeably softer & smoother, subsided her break-outsa
Dermalogicas BioActive Peel Multi-Step Approach
- -Preps skin by sloughing off epidermal cells
- -Removes lipids that block peel penetration
- -Digests keratin protein
- -Accelerates cellular resurfacing and renewal
- -Stimulates collagen and glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) within the dermis
- -Increases natural ceramides
- -Calms and soothes inflamed skin
- -Restores natural pH of skin
How to Get the Silkiest Hair Ever!!!!
It is as easy as 1, 2, 3!!
1. It all starts in your shower. Wash your hair with something that is going to give you moisture and also smoothness. WE LOVE KERASTASE ELIXIR ULTIME SHAMPOO AND MASK... It was made to give your hair moisture, smoothness, shiny, and a silky feel. Another favorite here at Salon Envy Chicago is LET IT SHINE by BUMBLE & BUMBLE. This shampoo and conditioner gives you moisture and shine, shine, shine!
2. Second, if you have frizz than it is best to start with a smoothing product in your wet hair before you blow dry. Don't forget your thermal protector/thermique before you blow dry as well. If you do not have frizz the best way to get silky shiny hair is to let your hair air dry before you style. Whether it is goign to bed with your hair wet or just air drying throughout the early morning after your shower... Do what you can get away with depending on how thick and long it takes your hair to air dry. Our most favorite thermiques are Nectar Thermique by Kerastase and also Ciment Thermique by Kerastase. Nectar thermique is for dry hair and Ciment Thermique is for broken, damaged hair.
3. FLAT IRON. I am a hairdresser here to tell you a flat iron is OKAY. Make sure you have a higher technology, NEW, ceramic flat iron. No, a flat iron is not okay. Treat your hair with respect and get a good one! Beauty supply stores are known for having higher quality irons. Also, the number one rule with a flat iron is to have a product on before you run the flat iron! Kerastase Fiber Architect will help brittle, very damaged lengths by protecting the hair before you flat iron. Take thin sections and make sure to comb each section of hair before your flat iron. One slower pass through your section is better for your hair then a few passes.
BUMBLE & BUMBLE COLOR-MINDED PRO TREATMENT
The newest re-formulation by Kerastase is exclusively offered at Kerastase Salons including our own, Salon Envy Chicago.
Kerastase developed a 4 step process to help treat dry hair. Kerastases philosophy is not only to make hair look & feel beautiful, but to ctually treat the hair to heal it and make the hair beautiful.
1. Pre-Treat. Immersion Nutritive. This is a pre-shampoo treatment for very dry hair. This provides moisture & smoothness onto your dry hair before you cleanse.
3.Treat. Lait Vital. This is an incredibly light, moisturizing conditioning treatment.
How HAIR COLOR can make your EYE COLOR POP!
GET THE PERFECT TRIO. Match your Hair Color, Eye Color, & Skin Color.
GET HAIR COLOR THAT IS FLATTERING.
The most flattering hair color comes when you have "THE PERFECT TRIO". A perfect trio is when your hair color matches your skin tone and eye color. Your perfect hair color will make your eyes POP. Your eyes will appear brighter and bigger. It will also go well with your skin tone. The right hair color will give your skin color, vibrance, and softness. The wrong hair color will do the exact opposite, it will wash you out, make you look drab and dreary.
During your consultation at SALON ENVY CHICAGO, we will analyze your eye color & skin tone to determine the most flattering hair color for you.
In case you want to research some pictures before your appointment.. Here are some easy tips for figuring out what hair color scheme is good for you!
Our EYES have two colors. A primary color and a secondary color. The primary eye color is what you see the most of and most likely will be on your identification. Brown, blue, green, & hazel are the most common primary eye colors. The secondary eye color is what may be a ring around your primary eye color between your pupil, it may be tiny specks around the center pupil, too. This color is what we match your hair color to. Golden, copper, platinum, hazel, or brown colors are most common for secondary tones.
THE THREE CATEGORIES THAT MAKE UP EYE COLOR & SKIN TONE ARE:
WARM, COOL, & NEUTRAL.
WARM- Warm skin tones have a golden, soft honey skin color. Their natural virgin hair colors will have warm hints of tones such as orange, copper, golden, or red. Warm skin tones typically have eye colors that are brown, hazel, golden light brown, or green.
COOL- Cool skin tones are the most common of all skin tones and have a slight red hue. Their natural virgin hair color will have cool hints of tones such as ash, dirty dishwater blonde, black, cool brown, or silver (grey). Cool skin tones typically have eye colors that are blue-green, light blue, dark blue, or brown-black.
NEUTRAL-Neutral skin tones are as easy as this= they are neutral. Neutral skin tones typically have hair and eye colors that have a mix of warm and cool tones. Typical eye colors are mixed, such as blue-green eyes with hints of copper, or eyes that can go from a warm-green to a cool blue, depending on what clothing or hair color they have. This is the easiest skin tone to work with because the possibilities are endless.
You want your hair color to compliment both eye color and skin tone. Here I will list a few common eye colors and hair color pictures to go with them.
Warm Brown Eyes-