Salon Envy Waxing
All about waxing your SWEET spot.
Brazillian Wax (most popular):
A Brazillian Wax removes ALL of the hair down there. We are talking every single bit. Bare. Fresh and so smooth. A Brazilian Wax appointment usually is done with your panties off, so the aesthetcian can remove all hair front to back. This is is our most popular BODY WAX we offer at Salon Envy Chicago because our two aestheticians are known for doing them FAST & EFFICIENT. A full Brazilian Wax is booked as a 30 minute appointment, but we would say majority of the time these appointments finish alot quicker.
French Bikini Wax:
A French Bikini Wax is similar to a Brazilian Wax, but the is usually left around your bum area. A French Bikini Wax also usually has a "landing strip" left. This landing strip can be as thin as you would like, but typically is about 3 fingers width.
A Basic Bikini Wax:
A Basic Bikini Wax is where the hair that you would see if you had underwear on is removed. So, bascially if you were to wear a bathing suit there would be no visible hair around the inner thigh region. You can keep your panties on for this appoitment and it is super fast. The appointment time is 15 minutes or less.
Fall 2016 Hair Color Trend:
Color Melting is a technique wher3 or more hair colors are used that are similar, yet different. It blends the hair color creating a "color melting" effect. When your hair color "melts", its hard to tell where the highlights start or end.
What Is a Color Melt?
Maintaining Your Melt
The biggest benefit to "Color Melting" is that there are no harsh lines like highlights in foils create.
What is the BEST Anti-Aging Secret? That is not so secret..
Protect Your Skin At ALL Times!
Rain or Shine, Winter or Summer, Spring or FALL... Protect your skin! We only get one face, one set of SKIN on our face, so protecting your skin like you would your precious little newborn baby is imperative. These are our TOP 4 products by Dermalogica for protecting your skin against that evil, wrinkle-causing, trecherous sunshine. For those of you who are ahead of the skin game and already wear hats, you still need sunscreen. Hats will help the overhead sunshine UV rays, but when reflections bounce back up, damage will occur. Protect your SKIN at all times.
1. Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF 30 and Dynamic Skin Recovery. Both are products from our AGE Smart, Anti-Aging line, and can be used together.
2. Dermalogica Sheer Tint SPF 20
3. Total Eye Care 15 SPF
4. Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster
Introducting the newly-formulated Kerastase In Salon Rituals. In Salon Rituals are hair conditioning treatments that are professionally prescribed to meet every need of your hair. They are concentrated and in the purest form to target your hair problems. They will improve damaged and weak hair, colored hair, dry hair, frizzy hair, dull hair, life-stressed hair that lacks density, and so much more.
There are 20 unique combinations that can be formulated to give you the utmost personalized hair care. The BEST part about Kerastases In Salon Treatments is that they are a permanent fix. The more you use them, the better your hair will become. Its not a temporary bandage for bad hair, they are instantly PERMANENTLY transforming your hair.
TREAT YOUR COLOR WITH A FUSIO-DOSETM HAIR LAB TREATMENT
✓ Strengthens hair and prolongs hair color results between coloring appointments
✓ As a pre-color treatment: Prepares hair for optimal color absorption to help nourish, reconstruct and prime hair
✓ As a post-color treatment: Locks-in color at the roots to help maintain hair highlights, or at mid-lengths and ends for ombre hair and Balayage hair
For the month of February, the best salon in Chicago "Salon Envy Chicago" is offering Kerastase In-Salon Ritual Fusio Dose Treatments for . (Normally +)
We are here to answer all of those important questions you have about HAIR EXTENSIONS! Here at Salon Envy we offer Great Lengths Cold Fusion Hair Extensions, Tony Odishio & EuroSoCap Hair Extensions.
Hair Extensions are more popular now than they ever have been. Almost every celebrity you see in the magazines that has BEAUTIFUL hair, I hate to break it to you, is wearing hair extensions.
We put together the most common questions we get during our extension consultations and our answers.
Do hair extensions cause damage?
Hair Extensions are a cosmetic procedure and need to be applied and maintained properly to ensure that your application will not cause damage to your hair. It is very important to listen to your extension application professional and follow instructions properly. Every client has a different need, different application, & concerns that will be addressed to make sure that there will be no damage with their hair extension application.
(Information From Great Lengths USA Website)
1. Choose a long standing, high quality system of hair extensions such as Great Lengths.
2. The skill level of the stylist is crucial for a damage free hair application therefore ensure your hair stylist is a qualified hairdresser who also has been certified in the application of your chosen hair extensions. All Great Lengths extensionists have been trained and certified directly by the company who has the most rigid requirements for certification in the industry.
3. Complete a full consultation with your extensionist to ensure you and your hair are suitable for your chosen hair extensions. All Great Lengths extensionists are trained to complete consultations for their clients and will provide this service free of charge.
4. Carefully follow the aftercare regime to properly maintain your hair extensions. Great Lengths have a range of Aftercare products available and all Great Lengths extensionists will ensure you know how to maintain your hair extensions before you leave the salon.
5. Always go back to your salon for maintenance check appointments and if you experience any problems with your hair extension. Great Lengths extensionists will check your bonds, hair and scalp and help you to resolve any problems.
6. Never remove your hair extensions yourself. Always return to the salon to have your hair extensions professionally removed. Great Lengths extensionists have all been trained to remove the hair extensions using specially developed Great Lengths removal gel or removal solution.
How long do hair extensions last?
Hair Extensions can last up to 6 months if maintained properly with an average hair growth. This can vary depending on the clients lifestyle, speed of hair growth (if a clients hair grows very fast than less time is expected), and also how well the hair extensions are maintained. We have clients that wear hair extensions for 3-6 months. After 6 months, the average head of hair grows about 3 inches. When the hair extensions grow past 3 inches from the scalp they become hard to brush, maintain, and also hide while wearing certain hair styles.
How are the hair extensions applied?
There are many ways to add hair extensions. Hair extensions can be clipped, glued, sewn-in, clamped with micro-links, fused with keratin bonds, attached with ultrasonic vibration (cold fusion), and taped in. Here at Salon Envy we offer customized clip-in hair extensions, thermal fusion, & ultrasonic vibration cold fusion hair extension techniques.
Great Lengths patented protein polymer bond ensures a quick and simple application with an ultrasound system. Bonds are made from synthetic keratin mimicking the molecular structure of natural keratin found in human hair and maintaining a pH value of 5.5 to be compatible with your hair, scalp, and skin.
How do I take care of hair extensions?
Hair extensions become just like your natural hair and are very easy to maintain. That being said, there still is maintence that comes with any longer hair! With your set of Great Lengths Hair Extensions you will recieve a special brush and all of the information as to how to wash, condition, and blow-dry your hair extensions. The hair can be blow-dried, curled, flat ironed, and basically treated like your own!
Matt at Salon Envy -Euro So Cap Hair Extensions Application
Rachel at Salon Envy- Great Lengths Cold Fusion Hair Extension Application
Okay, its embarrassing, annoying, and HARD to disguise in brunettes; dandruff. Where does dandruff come from?
Dandruff actually means small pieces of dead skin in a person's hair. Thats exactly what it is, dry scalp/ pieces of your dead skin that flake off.
3 helpful tips to combat dandruff
1. Brush Your Hair. BRUSH your hair & BRUSH your scalp! So many clients forget to BRUSH! Brush your scalp with a soft bristle brush to exfoliate your scalp and remove excess buildup of dead skin.
2. Shampoo. Clarify or 2-3 shampoos. Scrub-a-dub, dub. Make sure that you are cleansing your scalp WELL. Get your scalp very clean and exfoliated. Just like your face and body needs exfoliation, so does our scalp. Clarifying shampoos help even more by removing BUILD-up caused by hairspray & hair products. For the more chonric dandruff problem try a shampoo that has a medication in it. Dandruff is a small form of fungus. Its very common and sometimes needs medication to combat and fight it off! Our favorite is Kerastase Bain Exfoliant Shampoo.
3. See A Doctor. If your dandruff does not improve by a good exfoliation or a medicated shampoo, than go see a dermatologist. They will give you medication to put on either at night or before you shampoo that is stronger than any shampoo can do. There are natural remedies too, such as tea tree oil, baking soda, or apple cider vinegar rinses.
The winter months are here and if you are wondering what to do with your blonde hair color, let our stylists help you with their TOP three tips!
1. Go MORE Natural with a LOW-LIGHT.
During the winter months, the sun isn't as close to the earth and we don't spend as much time in the sun. Naturally our hair color gets darker because we are not out allowing that hot sunshine to bleach it out. Let this reflect in your hair color by adding a more natural blonde low-light or color that is similar to your natural color.
2. Add a heavier highlight color around the face.
Adding a little big more of a thicker highlight around your face only will brighten you up without washing you out. Skip the very bright blonde everywhere until the weather breaks. Leave the color on top a little darker by highlighting LESS and as mentioned in #1 adding those low-lights.
3. Tone it DOWN.
Ask your stylist about what color you could tone down with that would flatter your skin and eye color. Everyone has a different eye color and skin tone so leave this up to the professional to formulate the best color to tone your blondes down. This will add a shiney gloss while taking the "white" out of your blonde through these winter months..
powerbright trx ™
Brighter skin, without compromise. Get uneven skin tone under control,.
Fall is here and our skin is most likely damaged from the spring and summer months of SUNSHINE! "Fall" into great skin this year with Dermalogicas new product line "Power Bright TRX".
The product was developed to help BANISH brown spots, uneven skin tones, and other pigment issues. There is a 3-STEP system which includes C-12 Pure Bright Serum (potent skin brightener), Pure Light SPF50 (daytime brightening treatment moisturizer) and Pure Night (overnight brightening treatment cream).
- Helps minimize brown spots and discoloration while protecting against future pigmentation issues.
- Brightens skin and helps clarify uneven skin tone.
- Great for previewing PowerBright TRx™ products or continuing your regimen while traveling.
how to use
After cleansing, apply C-12 Pure Bright Serum directly to areas of uneven skin tone. Wait one minute for product absorption. Follow with Pure Light SPF50 during the day and Pure Night during the evening.
For best results, always apply C-12 Pure Bright Serum before your moisturizer.
1. Body Waxing is LESS irritating to the skin than shaving.
3. The MORE you WAX, the LESS hair and the FINER your hair will be!
Natural Looking Curly Hair Without Natural Curly Hair
BANTU CURLS OR BANTU KNOTS
Bantu Knots are a great way to style your hair curly, with or without natural curls. Section your hair in to several small sections while its wet and twist until the entire section is twisted up. Then secure with a rubberband or bobby pin. Dry completely. Take out, shake, & STYLE!
Summer: Tis' the season to eliminate FRIZZ.
Not to mention stronger, smoother, & shinier hair!
Initialiste by Kerastase was featured in Marie Claire magazine... This is by far one of our best treatment products sold by Kerastase.
Initialiste has many benefits. It is made to transform your hair in 7 days. It is Kerastases' 1st skincare-inspired super serum that acts on the four attributes of total hair beauty:
Click here to read some reviews posted on lookfantastic.com.
Of course it recieved a full 5-STAR rating!!!
4 Tips On Communcating With Your Hair Extrodinare!
Miscommunication problems happen between stylists and clients often..... What is it about the salon? The moment you walk in its as if you cannot speak or understand the words that are coming out of your hairdressers mouth. Blunt what? Point-cut who? Dust my ends where?
I'm not sure why hairdressers speak to their guests like they've all graduated miss beauty academy and went through the salon system. Hello! We are civilians. We barely know how to get the frizz out of our own hair thats been on our head for 30+ years, let alone know how we want it cut. Thats your job lady (or gent)!!!!! But the problem happens when what you said you wanted turns into what you did NOT get.
We are going to make this super simple for you and break down the 4 most important steps to follow when communicating to your hair expert.
1.) Be HONEST! Don't lie to your stylist and act like you have those brushes, products, and TIME for that matter to style your hair. If you are a "wash and go" type of guest, then say that! If you get your hair cut once a decade, don't forget to mention that! If you do not understand our ambiguous jargon, than ask! Sometimes even we don't even know what we are talking about :)....
2.) Bring Pictures. If you know what you want or would like your hairdressers opinion on something, bring a picture. Pictures work wonders because "honey" or "ruby" to you may not mean "honey" or "ruby" to us. Make sure its realistic. If you look like madonna, don't come in with beyonce's picture in hand.
3.) Know what you DO NOT want. Okay, so maybe you don't know what you want. Thats okay. Forget the pictures! If you know some "don't wants", that can help us tremendously. I may not know about that time your hairdresser chopped your bangs and you hated them for a year straight. Let us know what you do not want and that way we will know what NOT to give you as options.
4.) Be Realistic. Like I said in number 3, do not expect us to grow your hair 10 inches and add thickness (that is, unless your getting hair extensions). We are hair technicians not magicians! Communicating in your consultation is where we can talk about exactly what would fit you and get you closest to your dream hair as possible!
Check out her link here! http://www.groupon.com/articles/a-play-by-play-of-my-first-brazilian-wax-fv
A Play-By-Play of My First Brazilian Wax
Until last week, I’d never had a bikini wax, and I thought of Brazilian waxes mostly as a terrible punishment—right up there with getting reincarnated as a roach. That’s why my boss thought a post about my first Brazilian would be funny. And because I kind of agreed, I found myself making an appointment at Lincoln Park’s Salon Envy (2658 N. Halsted).
Part of me thought, “How bad can it be?” Another part of me thought, “It will feel like getting shot with a cannon.”
Before the Wax
My friends were no help when I tried to figure out what to expect. Some of them said it was weirdly relaxing; others said I should take ibuprofen and stretch my screaming muscles. “Do you know if she’s going to use hard or soft wax?” one of my friends asked. I didn’t even know there were two types of wax. By the time I arrived at the salon, I was super confused.
Luckily my aesthetician, Nataliya Dilay, knew exactly what she was doing—she’s been honing her technique for 17 years. (That’s her next to me in the picture.) She explained that she would be using hard wax. Unlike soft wax, it doesn’t require a strip to remove, and it doesn’t stick to your skin, just your hairs. It makes the process a little less painful.
She reassured me one last time that this was going to be pretty different from getting shot with a cannon. Then I took off my pants, and we got down to business.
During the Wax
I was holding out hope I wouldn’t have to go through with it. Some people are allergic to wax, and Nataliya says she can tell after the first pull: their skin immediately turns red and bumpy, and she stops the treatment. Unfortunately, the first slab of wax didn’t give me itchy bumps. The first slab was just the painful beginning. Brazilian. Waxes. Hurt.
Nataliya’s expertise really helped, though. She applied pressure after each pull to dull the pain; it looked sort of like she was karate chopping me. She worked fast, too, and talked me through the whole process. Before she waxed a particularly painful spot, she’d tell me to take a deep breath. The rest of the time, she told me tons of fun tidbits about waxing. Apparently, some people read magazines and text during their Brazilians, like they’re getting a haircut! It all depends on your pain threshold.
Mine is on the low end, which Nataliya accounted for. She started with a regular bikini wax, then went further in, switching from side to side as she worked. That way, if I made her stop at any point, the results would still be symmetrical. In the end, though, I got through the whole thing like a champ. (If a champ makes occasional screeching noises, and balls up her fists and kind of shoves them in her eye sockets.)
Once it was over, Nataliya tweezed some stray hairs, dusted me with powder, and let me out into the world. I half-expected a cavalcade of trumpeteers and whistling bluebirds on the sidewalk as I left, until I remembered my makeover was a secret makeover.
After the Wax
The pain didn’t linger—it only hurt when the wax was being pulled off. No aftereffects at all, unless you count feeling victorious! And a little strange. Wearing pants was more of an experience than usual.
Once I was dressed, I hugged Nataliya goodbye, unsure if I would ever see her again. It was doable, but it hurt! I had some thinking to do.
Nataliya did say that the first time generally hurts the most. After a while, people tend to get used to it. And after a day in the life of Favin 2.0, I’m inclined to believe her. I feel so fresh and so clean! I think I’d be down for round two.
Let's face it, hair color fades. I don't care if its the most permanent hair color on the market, we all experience it. Here are a few TIPS to prevent your hair color from fading.
1. KNOW YOUR COLOR/COLORIST. Know who is doing your color and what color you get. Are you getting permanent hair color re-freshed your ends with a high developer over and over? Do you use a semi-permanent that fades automatically within a month of shampooing? Make sure your colorist is KNOWLEDGEABLE and knows how to prevent fading. This way they won't be the one causing your hair color to fade.
2. USE THE RECOMMENDED SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER. Your colorist should ALWAYS reccommend shampoo and conditioner. Listen to them and take their advice. Not only will this help your color LAST, but also will keep your color VIBRANT!
3. LIMIT HOT WATER ON YOUR HAIR. Hot water will open the cuticle of your hair, which will make hair color fade out faster. Be sure to use a cooler temperature on your hair when shampooing and conditioning.
4. LIMIT SUNSHINE ON THOSE LOCKS. The sun will definitely fade your color. Even if the weather is cloudy and you think the sun isnt shining out there, it is. Be sure to wear a UV protection product in your hair and/or a hat.
5. PROTECT YOUR HAIR FROM THE CHLORINE. Swimmers beware: pool chemicals fade hair color tremendously. Be sure to load the conditioner on your hair before you swim and shampoo immediately after.
Do They Actually Work?
Want Stronger, Shinier, Healthier Hair?
Would You Like Your Hair To Grow FASTER!?
Yes, THEY DO! Yes, they will make your hair grow faster and healthier! Vitamins & Minerals are essential to keeping your hair healthy. Are you experiencing hair loss? Weak hair? Supplement with vitamins!
The best way to get biotin is naturally from our diet. But, it never hurts to supplement with a biotin vitamin. It is recommended not only to take a biotin vitamin, but to take a "HAIR, SKIN, & NAILS" vitamin. That way you get all of the essential vitamins & minerals that promote healthy, strong, and fast growing hair!
The essential vitamins that help our hair grow faster and healthier are omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B & C, iron, folate, zinc, beta carotene (Vitamin A), protein, & selenium.
Acne. The sweet gift left by our over-active sebateous glands. The best part is- its on the part of our body that every single person we come into contact with sees, our face. There are many causes and many treatments.
Here at Salon Envy we offer an amazing treatment regime to follow and clear your skin from this wretched issue.
Causes: Diet, Lack of Water, Stress & Hormones, Bacteria from hands/makeup brushes/ sheets/pillows, Internal Factors, Soaps/Cleansers, Moisurizers, Hair Products, Etc.
Salon Treatments Recommended:
1) Facial. We recommend to come in for a facial because it will help us determine the best possible products and regime for your skin. We may recommend doing extractions that will rid your skin of the dark, clogged sebum in your pours. This will give your skin a fresh start.
2) Acid Treatments. We may recommend an acid treatment to dry up your current acne. They will also exfoliate and leave your skin feeling cleaner, smoother, and resurfaced after one treatment.
3) Routine. Its all about consistency when it comes to skin. Rule out all of the possible problems by combating them all... Here are the most common causes and solutions...
We are going to LETTER them, since all are important and there is no specific order.
A) Drink AT LEAST 8 glasses of 8oz of water daily.
B) Eat your FRUITS & VEGGIES. Make sure you are consuming those vitamins within your diet and also if possible, supplement with vitamins to give a bonus to your diet.
C)Exercise Regularly. I know this sounds like a broken record for some of you. Exercise *even as little as a 30 minute walk a day* will not only stimulate positive hormones in your brain, but it will help decrease stress & clear up skin. WIN-WIN!
D) Cleanse 2x a day with Dermalogica Medibac Acne Clearning Cleanser. When cleansing, Pat dry with a clean washcloth and moisturize with Dermalogica Mediabac Acne Mattifier. At night time, spot treat with Dermalogica Overnight Clearing Gel.
E) New Makeup Applicators Daily. We can't stress this enough. Makeup containers contain MILLIONS of bacteria in them! Use a fresh new sponge or cotton daily. Otherwise your acne will be pasted on daily and you will never clear up! Make sure your makeup kit looks like it is BRAND NEW. It should be spot less.
F) Clean sheets & pillow cases at least once a week. Use a natural detergent free of fragrance and other chemicals that will just irritate your skin and cause more acne.
G) Use Oil-Free hair products and keep your hair off of your face. Bangs are NOT good for a client that has acne. The oil from our scalp travels down our hair shaft causing oil on our skin. NOT good.
Cleansers, Moisturizers, Clearing gels, Daily makeup applicators, Oil-Free hair products, (Keep Hair OFF Face), Clean your pillow cases & sheets weekly,
Benefits: Transform your hair in 7 days with Initialiste. Our 1st skincare-inspired super serum that acts on the four attributes of total hair beauty:
Step 2.) Trim your hair regularly.
It is VERY important to keep up with your hair cuts. It sounds so simple, but it is imperative for strong hair. The second your hair splits, the second it becomes weaker, more brittle, & prone to breakage. If you are someone that is bad at keeping up with hair cuts, PRE-BOOK your haircuts at your salon to help remind you when it is time. Here at Salon Envy Chicago we give a discount per service if you pre-book your appointments and keep the appointment. If you have to move the appointment you will still recieve the discount, just as long as you do not cancel it.
Step 3.) Turn the BLOW-DRYER down.
The heat and the power from your blow dryer will cause your hair to become weaker. Turn your blowdryers heat down and power to medium or low. If your hair dryer does not have this setting... Then get another blow dryer :)
Step 4.) Protect those LOCKS.
Thermal Protectors, Kerastase Ciment Thermique (Our Personal Favorite), work wonders of STRENGTH for hair. Protect your hair from the blow dryer and hot tools. Make sure you ALWAYS use a thermal protector.
What is the best skin care peel to change your skin?
BioActive Peel by Dermalogica
Our esthetician Dana says, "It leaves your skin resurfaced, smoothed, brighter, & tighter". She herself had the BioActive Peel done and says it left her skin "noticeably softer & smoother, subsided her break-outsa
Dermalogicas BioActive Peel Multi-Step Approach
- -Preps skin by sloughing off epidermal cells
- -Removes lipids that block peel penetration
- -Digests keratin protein
- -Accelerates cellular resurfacing and renewal
- -Stimulates collagen and glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) within the dermis
- -Increases natural ceramides
- -Calms and soothes inflamed skin
- -Restores natural pH of skin
How to Get the Silkiest Hair Ever!!!!
It is as easy as 1, 2, 3!!
1. It all starts in your shower. Wash your hair with something that is going to give you moisture and also smoothness. WE LOVE KERASTASE ELIXIR ULTIME SHAMPOO AND MASK... It was made to give your hair moisture, smoothness, shiny, and a silky feel. Another favorite here at Salon Envy Chicago is LET IT SHINE by BUMBLE & BUMBLE. This shampoo and conditioner gives you moisture and shine, shine, shine!
2. Second, if you have frizz than it is best to start with a smoothing product in your wet hair before you blow dry. Don't forget your thermal protector/thermique before you blow dry as well. If you do not have frizz the best way to get silky shiny hair is to let your hair air dry before you style. Whether it is goign to bed with your hair wet or just air drying throughout the early morning after your shower... Do what you can get away with depending on how thick and long it takes your hair to air dry. Our most favorite thermiques are Nectar Thermique by Kerastase and also Ciment Thermique by Kerastase. Nectar thermique is for dry hair and Ciment Thermique is for broken, damaged hair.
3. FLAT IRON. I am a hairdresser here to tell you a flat iron is OKAY. Make sure you have a higher technology, NEW, ceramic flat iron. No, a flat iron is not okay. Treat your hair with respect and get a good one! Beauty supply stores are known for having higher quality irons. Also, the number one rule with a flat iron is to have a product on before you run the flat iron! Kerastase Fiber Architect will help brittle, very damaged lengths by protecting the hair before you flat iron. Take thin sections and make sure to comb each section of hair before your flat iron. One slower pass through your section is better for your hair then a few passes.
Facials are an amazing way to feel relaxed and to take good care of your skin. They will leave your face feeling healthier, more radiant, and beautiful!
Have you ever thought of getting a facial but were not sure what steps were included? Facials are VERY important! Over 60% of people do not use the correct products for their skin type and do not take care of their face properly. Your esthetician will not only recommend which type of facial is best for your skin but will give you a professional recommondation on how to take care of your skin! They will also show you the way to the best products we carry by Dermalogica.